Heard of the terms PCB and PCBA but do not know the meanings? Well, reading this will answer the basic doubts that you have. You do not necessitate much technical knowledge to understand these at a conceptual level. To begin with, these are the abbreviations for two words. PCB stands for printed circuit board, and PCBA is the printed circuit board assembly.
Going through the full forms, you must have understood that they belong to the same functioning domain. PCB is the primary unit, and printed circuit board assembly PCBA is the next step to employ the circuit. PCBs are responsible for the working of any electronic device. Establishing the board inside an electric component with the necessary connectors needs assembling. Gain better knowledge by going a little deeper with the topics.
Printed circuit board
PCBs are a crucial element in any electrical appliance, be it small or large. A reputed company like GREATPCB SMT LIMITED, who manufactures PCBs, also provides printed circuit board assembly PCBA to their clients. The circuit board makers need an efficient assembling staff to deliver the ready products. PCBs contain the essential circuit to connect the inside components electrically. The pathways in the board allow the electric transmission to initiate the functioning.
- The material in use: In these boards, the primary substrate is fibreglass or any laminate material. Copper is the conducting material on both sides which also gets etched on as per the design. A covering of tin-lead is essential to prevent oxidation and ensure durability. These designing attributes require careful material selection and expert skills.
- Types to know: There are three main types of PCBs that you can find in common use. Single-layer boards are the simplest of all, containing one layer of solder mask. Double layer PCBs have both top and bottom layers that make them more flexible than the previous one. Multi-layer PCBs are the most complex ones, used in larger appliances, and have more than two layers.
Printed circuit board assembly
Establishing the board connectivity with the electronic component refers to assembling. It makes functioning possible inside the electrical appliance. Like the boards can be of three types, the assembling process also varies depending on the need. Associated companies in the business give equal importance to both aspects.
- Methods in use: The two methods by which you can assemble the boards are SMT and Thru-hole technology.
- Surface mount technology of SMT involves the mounting of the components to the PCB surface. The automated and flexible method is of great use in smaller systems.
- The thru-hole assembling process involves drilling on the PCBs to attach the leads. It establishes a strong connection and assures more durability.
Application of PCB and PCBA
You can find ample examples of PCB applications. Any electronic device needs the presence of PCB. Consumer electronics, heavy machinery, medical equipment, robotics, motor components, and many others require it. Assembling each board to the necessary part is the only way to ensure correct functioning. You get a turnkey solution with exclusive PCBA services to ease the convenience quotient.
Defining the co-dependency
PCB and PCBA are co-dependent. You need the right board containing the circuit so you can assemble it rightly. For this, the companies investing in similar businesses offer both services. For competing the client requirement, you need both the offerings. To define simply, PCB is the starting step, and the assembling is the ending one.
The writing clears most of the basic doubts related to PCB and PCBA. You get an overall knowledge of how the boards work and why you need to assemble rightly. However, you need to get into further details to gain in-depth knowledge.